Great matched pair of hoop back Windsor armchairs, in Ash with Elm seats c.1840. Originally from the workshop of George Nicholson of Rockley (stamped on one seat). Superb quality, with three spindles either side the of central pierced back splats, turned underarm supports, and turned single ring legs connected by crinoline stretcher. Excellent condition, cleaned and waxed in our workshops with great colour and patina.
A Methodist Minister, Nicholson took over the workshop of William Wheatland (also a minister and the founder of the Rockley tradition of chair making) in the tiny hamlet of Rockley in 1830, and produced furniture there until approximately 1841.
Dimensions: width 22½”, depth 22″, height 35″.