Good large late 19th.c. example of the classic Regency style gilded circular convex wall mirror c.1880. Original convex mirror with within a deep moulded wooden frame with applied ball decorations and a moulded detail at the quarter points. Original reeded and ebonised slip frame. Some wear to the sides, otherwise good unrestored condition with original gilding.
Dimensions: Diameter 27″, depth 3″.
19th.c. English sliver stirrup cup in the form of a sewing thimble hall by Birmingham makers Walter & George Myers and hallmarked in the city in 1876. With a raised inscription around the lid ‘Just a thimble full’ – a sentiment made less abstemious than it sounds because this thimble is actually 5.5cm tall! With a very slight dent toward the bottom. Otherwise excellent condition with a clear set of marks.
Dimensions: diameter 4cm, height 5.5cm.
First of two charming silver items for today’s blog is this lovely Russian enamelled silver salt cellar c.1900. 5.5cm diameter solid silver dish with beautiful enamelled cloisonné pattern to the sides and raised on three neat little ball feet. With maker’s mark and a clear Kokoshnik stamp (the assay mark for Russian silver imposed by Tsar Nicholas II in 1896) on the underside featuring the number 84 identifying the standard of silver used and the initials of the Moscow assay office. Very slightly miss shapen at the rim, otherwise excellent condition with no missing portions of enamel.
Dimensions: diameter 5.5cm, height 2.5cm.
Remarkable large William IV mahogany hall tree c.1830. Eight turned peg hooks arranged on four acanthus carved branches over a white marble table top raised on matching carved supports front and rear. Brass hoop stays for sticks and umbrellas to each side, with removable metal drip trays in the base. Standing 7’8″ tall and topped with a large carved pineapple. Excellent colour and condition, restored cleaned and polished in our workshops. Note the two smaller hooks are later replacements.
Dimensions: width 48″, depth 14″, height 92″.
Ingenious late 19th.c. metamorphic library steps and side chair c.1880. In solid oak with an unusual carved roundel to the backrest. Excellent condition, fully usable, with original brass hinges and a locking stay. Some wear to the runs, generally very good condition, cleaned and waxed in our workshops. The top step is 33″ from the floor.
Dimensions: width 16″, depth 16″/26″, height 34″.
Late 19th.c. Masonic glit framed mirror c.1870. 20″ x 16″ mirror plate within a giltwood frame with a triangular pediment top and flanked with fluted columns with Corinthian capitals. Featuring the emblematic square and compass, spheres and stars of The Order of Freemasons. Good condition with original gilding. Fitted with a new mirror plate but retaining the original backing board with attractive maker’s label for George Barnes of Bolton.
Dimensions: width 22″, depth 3″, height 29″.
Splendid set of six large late 19th.c. club or library style walnut open armchairs c.1880. Bow shaped backrest and arms with rollover top and carved with the initials EC. On carved and pierced back splats and swept supports over superb single piece walnut saddle seats beautifully shaped for comfort. Raised on turned front legs with brass cup castors joined with a bowed crinoline stretcher and linked with turned supports to the rear legs which are splayed for extra stability. Some earlier repairs and restorations, most obvious to the rear legs on a few of the chairs. Otherwise excellent condition and particularly good colour. Cleaned and waxed in our workshops.
Dimensions: width 22½”, depth 24″, height 30½”.
Beautiful pair of large post-independence era oil paintings by the Indian artist G.D Paul Raj (1914-1979) dated 1951. Very confidently painted with a fabulous sense of sunlight, in oil on identically sized canvasses. Depicting two scenes around the city of Chennai where Paulraj studied under the celebrated Indian modern artist Debi Prasad Roy Chowdhury (at the Government College of Fine Arts) and subsequently made his home. ‘Street in Conjeevaram’ (now known as Kanchipuram) depicts a woman in a red sari walking through a street market. ‘Road to Redhills’ features traditional bullock carts being drawn through the heat and dust by long horned oxen below a line of huge banyan trees. Each canvas is clearly signed in vivid red paint the lower left hand corner. Excellent condition, presented on the original stretchers in their original moulded hardwood frames each with an engraved and dated title plaque.
Dimensions: width 42″, height 34½”.
Very unusual late 19th.c. walnut and leather dressing screen c.1890. Four 21″ wide panels of graduated height with tooled leather panels within walnut frames with pierced tops. Double skin leather panels decorated on one side with full length figures each surrounded with the foliage of a particular plant and accompanied with different animals whilst the other side features woodland scenes populated with nymphs and fairies and a puckish character with short horns. Carved foliate detail to the uprights and base panels to one side of the frame whilst the other side has a simple fluted detail and plain panels. Some damage to the leather panels which are quiet faint and worn in places. Otherwise excellent condition with original brass bi-fold hinges. Cleaned and waxed in our workshops.
Dimensions: width 84″, height 77″.
Massive oak refectory table top of impressive size (and weight!) c.1820. For use with trestles (not supplied), very nearly 7’8″ long, big enough to seat 10 people easily. Four 1¾” thick solid oak boards with cleated ends and further secured with long iron bolts. Presented as found, very solid and sturdy with a lovely pale colour revealing the grain and rays in the timber.
Dimensions: length 91½”, width 36″, thickness 1¾”.