Entries by Collinge Antiques

18th.c. Welsh Longcase Clock by Watkin Owen of Llanrwst.

Late 18th.c. brass faced 8 day longcase clock c.1780 by Watkin Owen of Llanrwst, Wales’ most celebrated clock maker. Excellent Conwy valley oak case, the hood with an architectural ‘broken’ pediment and a pair of turned and reeded columns.  Slim shaped door repeated in the base panel, reeded quarter columns and crisp ogee mouldings at the neck and waist. Brass face with separate chapter ring, seconds dial and date display. Named for Watkin Owen Llanrwst and featuring leaf pattern engravings. Eight day works striking the hours on a bell.
Excellent condition, the works are sold with a 12 month guarantee. The case has been cleaned and polished. Winder and key supplied.
Dimensions: height 83″, width 19½”, depth 10″.

The Owen family of Llanrwst, a small market town in the Conwy valley, are probably the most prolific and best known family of 18th century clockmakers in Wales. Watkin Owen (1755-1809) was aged just 21 when his father, the respected clockmaker John Owen, died. After establishing himself as head of the business, he improved and refined his father’s works, adding a fifth pillar to the movement and producing a remarkable number of clocks of consistently high quality and reliability housed in excellent regional cases. For more information about Watkin Owen you can’t beat the remarkable study of his output which makes up the bulk of Colin and Mary Brown’s book The Clockmakers of Llanrwst.

Two Tier Apothecary Shop Display Shelf c.1900.

Excellent quality two tier mahogany apothecary shop display shelf c.1900. Over seven feet in length with shaped and moulded upper shelf, crisply turned finials and shaped brackets. Retaining the original mirrored back panels and brass fixings. Excellent colour and condition. Would make a fine bar shelf.
Dimensions: length 84″, height 14″ , depth 13″.

Arts & Crafts Copper Mirror with Brushes.

Delightful little late 19th.c. Arts and Crafts style copper wall mirror with matching hat and clothes brushes c.1890. Maker unknown but in the manner of the celebrated Newlyn and Keswick schools of metalworkers. With a 3″ x 6″ mirror with a bevelled edge on a repoussé copper panel with heart-shaped motifs, scrolling edges and expressed rivets. Wrought copper hooks either side of the mirror hold a pair of brushes for clothes and hats with matching hammered copper covers.
Dimensions: width 12½”, depth 2, height 14″.

Oak Hall Mirror, Hat & Coat Rack.

Unusual late 19th.c. oak hall mirror and rack c.1890. Ten brass hooks for gloves, canes and scarves around a central mirror. Two more hooks to the ends and a long brass rack for hats which also features six sliding hooks for coats, bags etc. On an oak frame with carved detail and crisply turned spindles and finials. Excellent colour and condition,  cleaned and waxed in our workshops.
Dimensions: width 48″, depth 8″, height 33½”.

French Carved Oak Cupboard.

Lots of useful storage for kitchen ware, linens etc inside this beautiful 18th.c. French carved oak cupboard or armoire c.1760. Tall two door cupboard fitted with three shelves, over two useful drawers in the base.  Deep moulded cornice over an exceptional decorative front.  With unusually shaped door panels, extensive carving, original decorative ironwork to the doors and drawer fronts, a fine scrolling apron and shaped feet. Oversized steel handles and hinges and and panelled oak sides. Excellent condition and superb colour. Cleaned and waxed in our workshops. Key supplied. With some interesting old paper labels referring to the cathedral of La Rochelle.
Dimensions: width 60″, depth 22″, height 77½”.

 

Large Gilt Overmantle Mirror.

Large 19th.c. gilt overmantle mirror by the London frame makers Dearth & Son c.1880. Original 48″ x 44″ mirror plate and ebonised slip frame. Impressive gilt frame with an applied frieze of large scrolling acanthus leaves in high relief across the top and flanked with reeded columns. Later gilding and some repairs to the leaves, minor tarnish to the mirror. Original backboards with a faded maker’s stamp for Dearth & Son.
Dimensions: width 60″, depth 5″, height 64″.

Late 19th.c. Cylinder Music Box.

Fine quality late 19th.c. cylinder music box, probably Swiss made c.1880. Sprung driven 13″ cylinder play six tunes (or airs) including works by Mozart, Handel and Puccini on a steel comb. Winding handle to the left hand side, start and repeat/change switches to the right. In a rosewood veneered case with musical theme inlaid detail (partially missing) to the lid, boxwood stringing and moulded base. Original internal glass cover and paper airs sheet. Original unrestored condition. Missing six teeth from the comb, but working well with clear sound and excellent tone.
Dimensions: width 27″, depth 13″, height 9″.

 

Adjustable Steel Standard Lamp & Shade.

Early 20th.c. adjustable standard lamp c.1930. Quite unusual being in steel rather than brass and retaining the original shade. Height adjustable from 56″ – 66″ with telescopic tube on an elaborately cast column with flared and weighted base for stability with acanthus leaf mounts and claw feet. Sold together with the original silk shade with long fringe braid (some damage and marks to the silk). Excellent condition, cleaned and rewired and sold with a PAT test certificate.
Dimensions: height to bulb 56″- 66″, diameter of shade 21″, width/depth at base 12″.

Art Deco Centre Table.

Unusual Art Deco era oak pedestal centre or window table c.1930. Solid oak top with moulded edge on a square pedestal with flower garlands carved in high relief to each side. On a faceted base with eight small ball feet. Excellent condition, cleaned and waxed in our workshops.
Dimensions: width 37½”, depth 26″, height 31″.

 

Pair of Ash & Elm Windsor Chairs by George Nicholson of Rockley.

Great matched pair of hoop back Windsor armchairs, in Ash with Elm seats c.1840. Originally from the workshop of George Nicholson of Rockley (stamped on one seat). Superb quality, with three spindles either side the of central pierced back splats, turned underarm supports, and turned single ring legs connected by crinoline stretcher. Excellent condition, cleaned and waxed in our workshops with great colour and patina.

A Methodist Minister, Nicholson took over the workshop of William Wheatland (also a minister and the founder of the Rockley tradition of chair making) in the tiny hamlet of Rockley in 1830, and produced furniture there until approximately 1841.

Dimensions: width 22½”, depth 22″, height 35″.