Super stylish Art Deco silver tazza hallmarked Birmingham 1935. Octagonal form with a decorated lip and shaped ivory handles. Interestingly the piece has been engraved with the logo of he Womens Voluntary Servive and the date July 21st 1943.
Dimensions: width 6″, depth 5″, height 3″.
The WVS was created in 1938 to support the work of the Air Raid Precauions unit. Amongst the many tasks undertaken by the WVS was the feeding of solidiers returning from Dunkirk, the organizing of the evacuation of childern from British cities under threat of bombing and, when the blitz did come, the feeding of both the ARP wardens who were fighting fires and helping the countless victims of bombing in need of food, shelter, clothing and temporary rehousing. During the blitz 241 members of the WVS were killed.